In reading and interpreting a calendar, we need to know days in a week, days in a month, and months in a year.
There are 7 days a week. The first day of the week is Sunday.
The seven days of a week are:
We also know that there are 12 months in a year. The first month of the year is January.
The 12 months of the year are:
All months have different numbers of days.
This is the number of days each month has:
(i) January = 31 days
(ii) February = 28/29 days
(iii) March = 31 days
(iv) April = 30 days
(v) May = 31 days
(vi) June = 30 days
(vii) July = 31 days
(viii) August = 31 days
(ix) September = 30 days
(x) October = 31 days
(xi) November = 30 days
(xii) December = 31 days
Thus, 7 months have 31 days each; 4 months have 30 days each, only the month of February usually has 28 days. But in a leap year, February has 29 days.
In a normal year the number of days is
(7 x 31) + (4 x 30) + (1 x 28)
= 217 + 120 + 28
= 365 days.
However, a leap year (in which February has 29 days) has 217 + 120 + 29 = 366 days.
To remember the number of days in different months, we can remember the following rhyme:
“September, April, June and November have thirty days.
February alone has twenty-eight, everyone else thirty-one.
But the leap year comes every four, and February has one more day. “
A year that is divisible by 4 is a leap year. Since 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004 are all divisible by 4, they are leap years.
A leap year has 366 days and the month of February has 29 days in such a year.
The calendar of a year shows all of the above facts. We can collect various information with the help of a calendar.
Here is a calendar for 2011.
We can count the number of days between the two dates given. We take the start day and the last day into account in our calculation.
1. How many days are there from 5th March to 12th
Let’s count the number of days from the given date.
Number of days in March = 31 – 4
= 27 days
Number of days in April = 12
Total number of days = 27 + 12
= 39 days
2. Shelly was on vacation from 15th April for 20 days. When will she return to work?
Number of days remaining in April = 30-14
= 16 days
Number of remaining public holidays = 20 – 16 = 4 days
4 days after 30th April is 4th Can
She will be back to work on the 5thth Can.
Questions and answers about interpreting a calendar:
I. Fill in the gaps:
(i) Number of months per year ……………….
(ii) Number of minutes per week ……………….
(iii) Number of weeks per year ……………….
(iv) Number of weeks and days in 45 days ……………….
(v) Number of hours per week ……………….
(vi) Number of weeks and days in 70 days ……………….
II. Answer the following:
1. What is the date, twelve days after September 20th?
2. If August 7th, 2018 was a Tuesday, what was the day on July 30th, 2018?
3. Harry’s summer vacation starts at 2nd
June. The school opens after 4 weeks and 5 days. What date will his school reopen?
4. How many months are there in 30 days? Name them.
5. Ron was on vacation from August 17th to September 4th. Find the number of days Ron was on vacation.
6. How many days are there from March 25th to May 14th?
7. How many days are there from December 28th to February 3rd?
I. (i) 12
(ii) 10080 minutes
(iv) 6 weeks 3 days
(vi) 10 weeks
II. 1. 2nd October
3. 4th July
4th April 4th, June, September and November
5. 19 days
● Units for length measurement
● Measuring device
● How to Measure the Length of a Line Segment
● Circumference of a figure
● Unit of mass or weight
● Examples of units of mass or weight
● Units for measuring capacitance
● Examples of capacitance measurement
● Read a clock or watch
● Antemeridian (am) or Postmeridian (pm)
● What time is it?
● Time in hours and minutes
● 24 hours clock
● Time units
● Examples of time units
● Read and interpret calendars
● Calendar guides us to know
4th grade math activities
From reading and interpreting a calendar to the home page