To solve a word math we need to carefully read each word and carefully choose numbers from the question to solve it.
1. Aaron bought 557 bags of brown rice and 368 bags of white rice. Find the total number of bags Aaron bought.
Number of bags of brown rice = 557
Number of bags of white rice = 368
Total number of pockets = 557 + 368
Therefore, the total number of bags Aaron bought is 925.
2. A library has a large collection of books. There are 180 English books, 155 French books and 250 scientific books. How many books are there in total?
Number of English books = 180
Number of French books = 155
Number of science books = 250
Total number of books = 180 + 155 + 250
Hence the total number is 585.
Word Exercise Worksheet for Estimating Total:
Do the following word problems as you estimate the sum
1. Ron has 58 colored pencils. His mother gave him 5 more colored pencils. How many crayons does he have in total?
2. Jack wrote 28 pages and Shane wrote 38 pages in one day. How many pages did both of you write in one day?
3. Mike sold 233 apples and 453 mangoes in one week. How many fruits did she sell in total in a week?
4th There are 245 mango trees, 470 apple trees and 119 lemon trees in one garden. How many trees are there in the garden?
5. There are 505 boys and 358 girls in a school. How many students are there in total?
6th During a cricket test match, Team A completed 453 runs, Team B 290 runs and Team C 208 runs. How many runs were run in total? Which team won the game?
7th 394 people attended a food festival on Friday, 103 people on Saturday and 208 people on Sunday. How many people in total attended the food festival these days?
8th. A flower shop has 265 roses and 37 dahlias for sale. How many flowers are there in total?
9. Ken collected 85 stamps and Tony collected 186 stamps. How many stamps did you collect in total?
10. A toy factory produced 278 and 678 toys on Monday and Tuesday. How many toys were produced in total?
11. A fruit seller bought two boxes of 342 and 277 mangoes. Find the total number of mangoes purchased.
12. There are 390 girls and 589 boys in one school. How many students does the school have in total?
13. There are 722 mango trees and 135 apple trees in an orchard. How many trees are there in total?
14th 275 girls and 603 boys came to the zoo on Monday. How many students visited the zoo in total?
fifteen. Nancy and her friends are preparing for a birthday party. You baked 182 chocolate chip cookies yesterday and 108 cookies today. How many cookies did you bake?
16. A shopkeeper has 275 blue pencils and 200 green pencils. How many pencils does he have in total?
17th There are 227 students in Class I, 362 students in Class II and 403 students in Class III. How many students are there in all three classes?
18th Gary watched 521 minutes of TV one week and 478 minutes the next week. How many minutes did he watch TV in both weeks?
3rd grade math class
From word problems in estimating the sum to the HOE PAGE